According to the City of Clinton Fire Department, a Clinton homeowner believes that working smoke alarms likely saved his life.
The fire department responded to a house fire on Sunset Road early Jan. 17 and found a large, two-story house fully engulfed in flames. They found the homeowner, Charlie Harmon, making his way down the hallway.
An officer was able to direct the man outside to safety, according to a press release. Harmon told firemen that he was asleep when the fire started, but “was awakened by the beeping alarms,” according to the release.
All people and pets made it out safely.
Significant damage was done to the home. The age of the house and “balloon” type construction allowed the fire to spread to all areas of the house quickly, according to the press release.
Anderson County EMS and the Oak Ridge Fire Department assisted.
“Working smoke alarms have been proven time and time again to be life saving devices,” said CFD Chief Archie Brummet. “This proved to be true for this resident of Clinton.”
As part of a community risk reduction program, the Clinton Fire Department had installed new, ten-year lithium battery smoke alarms throughout the house. This program is free of charge and available to all Clinton residents.
For information about the Clinton Fire Department’s program to install life saving smoke alarms in your home, call (865) 457-2131.